A move that eliminates a pin. With pinning side initiative, this can be done in two ways:
- Direct unpin - withdrawal of the pinning piece off the pin-line;
- Indirect unpin - moving another piece on the pin-line.
With pinned side initiative, this can be done in the following ways:
- Direct self-unpin by capturing a pinning piece;
- Indirect self-unpin by:
- moving another piece on the pin-line;
- moving the king off the pin-line.
See also: Pinning; Abdurahmanovic 1 theme; Onkoud-St German theme.
Magyar Sakkelet, 1966
(corr. Y. Bilokin, 2021)